Everyone says they want to Change but Very few REALLY WANT TO CHANGE. Change is the reality of life but when things change we usually don’t like it and often resist the changes. The truth is that each day we grow and learn, each day our cells turnover and each day we make choices on how we live and perceive our lives. The default mode of our mind is to look at what doesn’t work in our lives and then have a desire to change those things. So how do you go from what you know isn’t working or you don’t like, to actually embracing change and taking consistent action. The reality is that the only way to make real change is consistent action. In fact, Darren Hardy has a book called “The Compound Effect” where he talks about taking small actions which over time can bring compounded results.
If you feel inspired to make a change, you are already ahead of the game. Here are some steps you can take to move your forward.
1. Make a decision to change for the long haul. Ask yourself if you are truly committed to doing the work to change.
2. Ask yourself WHY you want to change. If you connect to the reason you want to change then you will be able to go back to this reason when your ego mind starts to resist.
3. Now that you have connected with why you want to change, lets get specific. Craft a SMART GOAL. Break your goal down to specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timely.
If you want more information on how to write a SMART goal you can read my blog post explaining this in detail.
4. Now, break down your goal into small daily or weekly action steps and put them in your calendar.
5. Celebrate the small accomplishments that get you towards your goal. Celebrate your efforts and your willingness to engage with the process. Life is a journey, not a destination so celebrating along the way for your efforts is essential to stay motivated.
6. If you get off track, connect with your why and get right back on!
I hope this gives you some actionable steps to take so you can make some changes by the end of 2016.
If you need help implementing change in your life, please apply here for a complimentary clarity session.