We are in a time of intense energy. Even if you have chosen to do less this year or have chosen to set strong boundaries, we are still surrounded by media, social media, and the energy of just being around others. We can’t control what is going on around us but we can control how we process and handle all of it. If you already have self-care activities as part of your routine my suggestion is to increase whatever works for you. If doing more of the same doesn’t feel aligned here are some other suggestions/strategies:
- Say “No” to obligations that don’t feel aligned or just feel like too much. During this time of year, there are more social events and expectations/shoulds. In addition, sometimes we have been doing things a certain way for so long that we don’t even realize that the activity doesn’t work for us anymore. My suggestion is to really take a look at your schedule and calendar this year and ask yourself what you have been doing every year just because you have been doing it every year. Can you change how you do this task? Can you eliminate it? Pick one task each week to let go of and leave that space in your calendar for self-care.
- Energetic clearing. When you return home from being in the world, this is a great time for you to transition into the home and your safe place. Take some time to clear your energy, this can be done many different ways. Some suggestions: a 5-minute meditation, a visualization (see yourself leaving the day and energy behind and moving into a relaxed/connected state), take a dance break with the intention of arriving home and releasing any energy that isn’t yours, or use palo santo or sage to clear the energy.
- Protect yourself. When you are out in the world set the intention to be open to receive positive interactions and to repel those that are not beneficial. You can also wear or carry with you a protective crystal. One option is black tourmaline which can repel low-level energy.
- Essential oils. You can use a lavender essential oil to calm your senses. Make sure you use a good quality essential oil. Diffuse the oil into your home, rub it on your feet with a carrier oil (coconut/almond or other oil), or just put it on your wrists and smell it throughout your day.
- Take a bath. A sea salt can serve to detoxify your body and your energy. You can add lavender oil to help with relaxation.
As a highly sensitive person, it is possible to not only survive the holidays but to thrive. I hope these suggestions help you have a more joyous and connected holiday season. If you need some support or would like next year to be the year you make the changes in your life you have been desiring, contact me for a complimentary clarity session.